Garage/Workshop Floor

• 1 Replies

Andrew

Garage/Workshop Floor
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for a product to finish the (existing, smooth and clean, ~10 years old) concrete floor in the attached 6x9m garage on the house I have just bought, and before long will be building another large garage/workshop which will also need the floor sealed.  Use will be for home garage/workshop, including welding/grinding/machining as well as lots of work on cars.  I want something that will be very durable and easy to clean, and hopefully look nice as well.  I assume from reading your descriptions that either the "DIY 2 pack Urethane Flooring Kit" or "100% Solids Epoxy Flooring kit" would be the best options, but it's unclear to me what the relative advantages of each are?  Can you give me an idea of the differences?

Also, what about the "DIY Flake Flooring Kit"?  Does the flake flooring result in a floor as strong and long lasting as the other kits, or do you trade some longevity for the appearance?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Re: Garage/Workshop Floor
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 12:30:36 PM »
Hi Andrew,
The Urethane has the higher chemical resistance where as the 100% Solids overall might be a more durable product, does not have the same level of chemical resistance and UV stability.
For garage/workshop floors the Urethane is always the first preference with optional Water Based Epoxy Kit used as a primer. The primer is necessary for thirsty slabs or where you simply desire a higher build product. A Urethane by its nature is quite thin.
The flake kit is top coated with the urethane so is suitable for your particular application.