• 5 Replies

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Bluestone Sealer Discusion
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:07:10 PM »
Please feel free to discuss anything related to bluestone sealer protection.

kristy

Re: Bluestone Sealer Discusion
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »
Hi there,
I'm after some advice.
We have purchased honed bluestones for our backyard, but of course, they are going to be super slippery should it rain!
I need some sort of sealant which will make them more nonslip but also not affect the look of the stone. The guy we got the pavers from recommended a penetrating enhance sealer, but the information I've read up doesn't really make it clear whether it makes it less slippery than the stone is naturally, or just doesn't make it more slippery (If that makes sense)
The stones look lovely so we don't really want to ruin the finish with a topical sealant, so we're exploring what our options are before we swap them over for sawn. What can you recommend?
Thanks
Kristy

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »
Hi Kristy,
a penetrating sealer (when applied correctly) will not alter your surfaces characteristics.
What this essentially means is that if you are concerned about your stones slipperiness, a penetrating sealer will not be beneficial at all. Your bluestone will be just as slippery before as is after the seal.
There are some etching products on the market to cater for a finish you desire, though we have heard some horror stories of DIY applicators ruining there stone. Etching natural stone requires some experience and probably should be left to the professionals.
Hope this makes it clearer.

kristy

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:26 PM »
yeah I thought the info he (stone shop salesperson) gave me didn't make sense. Thanks!

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 08:45:08 AM »
Hi,

I hope you can help. We just installed blue stone in a screened in patio do we need to seal it? If so how and with which product?

Thanks
Jeff

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Hi Jeff,
most opt to seal any natural stone or porous surface.
For bluestone please see our bluestone range of sealers in the US available here:
http://cswcoatings.com/premium-architectural-grade-bluestone-sealer-protection-products/
Application instructions can be found on each individual products page.
If unsure as to whether you wish for a film or penetrating sealer, you can read about some of the main differences here:
http://cswcoatings.com/film-vs-penetrating/