Sealer selection

• 1 Replies

Robert Heather

Sealer selection
« on: September 24, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »
Hi,
I have about 120 sq m of sandstone paving for pathways, patio area and salt water pool surround in a beachside location.
It is a fine grained sandstone ... generally light coloured with multi-coloured inclusions and suffering from mould in many areas. I plan to clean with a soap and bleach solution together with pressure hose before applying a sealer.
What sealer would you recommend?
The premium sandstone sealer seems to be the best at combating mould ... so I was favouring that! Then, I was unsure if I should go for a water based or solvent based sealer.  I noticed in the description of the solvent based sealer that it could slightly darken and highlight colours. I don't want a wet look ...but the sandstone is colourful and some minor colour highlighting might look good ... as long as the overall colour is not significantly changed.     
Rob

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Re: Sealer selection
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:01:01 PM »
Hi Robert,
>What sealer would you recommend?
It really depends on what level of protection you wish to achieve from your sealer. A good visual side by side comparison between our sandstone sealers can be found here:
http://cswcoatings.com.au/premium-architectural-grade-sandstone-sealer-protection-products/
>Then, I was unsure if I should go for a water based or solvent based sealer.
Have you had a chance to view our pros and cons of each found here:
http://cswcoatings.com.au/water-vs-solvent-sealer/
For sandstone due to its porosity, generally water based penetrating sealers are considered the favorite...though obviously the applicator makes the final call! A solvent in this scenario would have no additional benefit over a water based product.
>... as long as the overall colour is not significantly changed.
Water based penetrating sealers full cure close to invisible on the majority of sandstones.