Pool grout sealing

• 4 Replies

Lynn Jarvis

Pool grout sealing
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:49:51 PM »
I have a pool tiled with glazed ceramic tiles. In some locations there is calcium formation in the grout lines. I assume there is some porosity in the grout at that point that allows the underlying material to leach through, adhesive or cement substrate maybe.

For other reasons, the pool has been drained and I have a chance to clean off the calcium build-up. I am hoping that sealing the grout may prevent this from happening in future.

Are any of you products suitable for underwater, chlorine etc.?

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Re: Pool grout sealing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
Hi Lynn,
this is a difficult one as there are a few forces working against you here. Most penetrating grout sealers cannot be submerged as they might experience performance issues. Have you tried looking at any epoxy grout systems? Unfortunately we do not supply these.

Lynn Jarvis

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply. Sorry for the delay in my reply.

Yes I have looked at epoxy grouting but that means a re-grout and the grout itself it quite sound. There are only a dozen or so spots where calcium builds up and I would like to seal them at least.

I guess what I am coming down to is combination of a penetrating sealer of some kind to get through the fissures and seal as far as possible, and then followed up with a hardened surface coating, maybe even some simple epoxy paint. Would any of your sealers take a surface coating of some kind?

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
Would any of your sealers take a surface coating of some kind?

The most applicators have attempted to do in the past is apply a silane/siloxane penetrating sealer like:
Sealer Standard
https://cswcoatings.com.au/concrete-sealer-standard-sb/
to slow down/reduce calcium/efflorescence migration. Being solvent based will achieve a deeper penetration then an equivalent water based product.
Once applied, provided this remains sub-surface, can be re-coated with a coating of choice.
Hope this helps.

Lynn Jarvis

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »
Thanks very much for this. It is exactly what I had in mind.

I have confirmed by the way that the efflorescence is coming from pin-holes/fissures in the grout. The calcium is most likely coming from the underlying tile adhesive because there is a doubly applied waterproof membrane under that. Poor water balance is the primary culprit.

I am confident that the problem can be reduced significantly using a sealer as well as attention to water balancing.