Driveway Sealer

• 1 Replies

Alan

Driveway Sealer
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:17:08 PM »
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing the coloured driveway sealer. It is going on concrete that has never been sealed or painted and is about 2 years old. I have a few questions:
- Is you product fine for frost or will it be slippery? I have found with other products even a non slip additive becomes quite slippery when there is frost.
- Can you please advise the closest colour you have to Colorbond Woodland Grey? Looking at the colour palette I would assume Graphite Grey or Lead Grey. Otherwise can the clear be tinted with conventional paint tinters?
- Would you still recommend an acid wash for concrete that is 2 years old or is a high pressure clean enough?
- Once the second coat has been applied, how long until it can be driven on?
- On a side note I am looking at sealing some pavers but not yet sure what I will be purchasing. At this stage I am undecided on whether I go for a travertine, limestone or marble paver (leaning towards marble). Is there a sealer that will do all of these or is best to pick the product right for the substrate?

Thank you in advance

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Re: Driveway Sealer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
Hi Alan,
- Is you product fine for frost or will it be slippery? I have found with other products even a non slip additive becomes quite slippery when there is frost.
There are a few different types of Extra Grip on the market so cannot speak for products like powdered grip. The CSW grip is fine tumbled glass particles so essentially you could apply as much or as little to compensate for environmental conditions. You could even take a step further and while under normal conditions grip is applied to first coat you could try applying to top coat if requiring the extra profile. This will also vary to a degree on how porous your substrate is.
- Can you please advise the closest colour you have to Colorbond Woodland Grey? Looking at the colour palette I would assume Graphite Grey or Lead Grey. Otherwise can the clear be tinted with conventional paint tinters?
Historically applicators have typically gone with Graphite Grey though should point out there is some green in Woodland not present in a true grey like Graphite Grey. Conventional tints would not be compatible.
- Would you still recommend an acid wash for concrete that is 2 years old or is a high pressure clean enough?
This is to be determined by applicator as acid etching is a safeguard to ensure adequate adhesion.
- Once the second coat has been applied, how long until it can be driven on?
approx 3-4 days dependent on application and conditions.
- On a side note I am looking at sealing some pavers but not yet sure what I will be purchasing. At this stage I am undecided on whether I go for a travertine, limestone or marble paver (leaning towards marble). Is there a sealer that will do all of these or is best to pick the product right for the substrate?
Yes, due to marbles density best to stick with the solvent based penetrating sealer.