Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Re: Concrete Sealer Discusion
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
Hi Steve,
penetrating sealers require a slightly different approach to application than say a film forming sealer. Although the label directions specify breaking the area up into approx 15sqm sections, this is a guide and will vary from project to project. This 15sqm approximation allows ample time to apply a second coat before drying/curing of the first.
Most likely there a 2 options going forward..
1) leave everything as it is. If beading is occurring then you may be able to get away with a single coat for now and apply a maintenance coat sometime in the future.
2) A Film Forming sealer may be applied over a penetrating providing the penetrating sealer was not applied so heavily that there is now a build on the surface. Also for compatibility purposes if a water based penetrating sealer were applied then re-apply a water based film forming sealer. Similarly if a solvent based penetrating sealer were applied then re-apply a solvent based film forming sealer.
Any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Wes

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »
Hi Tex,

I'm trying to darken and seal my new concrete driveway at the same time - is there a product that can do this?

I would like it to be a darker shade, similar to the colour after it's been raining.

I've tested the film forming sealer but it doesn't darken the colour.

Thanks

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »
Hi Wes,
it sounds like you might be after a Sealer Enhancer.
These can be found here:
USA
http://cswcoatings.com/natural-stone-sealer-enhancer/
Aus
http://cswcoatings.com.au/natural-stone-sealer-enhancer/

steven lee

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
Hi Tex,
im looking to seal my patio concrete floor which most of it is under roof cover with very low traffic.
what im looking for is
Non yellowing
durable (last at least 2 years)
easy maintenance (less dusting, dust collecting)
medium to wet look

i had a look at your penetrating and solvent based film forming. im not sure which to choose.

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2015, 08:47:22 PM »
Hi Steven,
most sealers will fulfil your specified requirements... the only standout was "less dusting".
If existing substrate is experiencing dusting and wishing for a long term solution then most applicators opt for our Densifier and then to protect the slab one of our film forming sealers.
In saying this, if area is low traffic you could simply use 2 coats of our solvent based film forming sealer which naturally would both protect your slab and act as a dustproofer as well.
Wet Look Solvent Concrete Sealer
http://cswcoatings.com.au/wet-look-solvent-concrete-sealer/
Hope this helps.

steven lee

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 01:13:25 PM »
Hi Tex,
is solvent based any better than water based?
i see that the price for the water based is more expensive.

how about yellow issue from UV?
its going to be a DIY project, is water any easier than solvent?

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi Steven,
each has their pros and cons. Have you had a chance to look at:
Water Vs Solvent under our School menu?
As far as UV stability both single packs are exactly the same being 100% UV stable and non-yellowing.
Most DIY applicators tend to find water based slightly easier to work with.

lee

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 09:40:34 PM »
Hi Tex,
for water based film foaming sealant, would i be able to use a spray method? I want to achieve a uniform look.

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 09:56:25 PM »
yes absolutely, this will be fine. Hope this helps!

rata

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
Hi text we are going to paint and polish our slab that is going down next week. Half of it i will grind then seal, the lounge opens onto the verandah,  both will be ground and sealed. can you recommend the best product for this application?
Also painting then sealing other areas, same product? Finally,  bathrooms will be painted and sealed including the shower, should the shower alcove be treated differently, that is with a penetrant or epoxy?
Much appreciated Rata

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »
Hi Rata,
please find products that might be suitable below:
For a grind and seal application where area is exposed directly to UV light (verandah?), the only 2 pack product which is UV stable and therefore non-yellowing is:
2 Pack Urethane
http://cswcoatings.com.au/diy-epoxy-flooring-kit-urethane/
In the single pack range it would simply be:
Wet Look Solvent Sealer
http://cswcoatings.com.au/wet-look-solvent-concrete-sealer/
Both above mentioned products can be used for internal and external areas.
For wet areas such as a bathroom, if content with a coloured product that is full bodied and completely covers your slab then please see:
Water Based Epoxy
http://cswcoatings.com.au/diy-epoxy-flooring-kit-water-based/

Daniel

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2016, 01:00:13 AM »
Hi,

We have just built a house and will have to save for some time to enable flooring to be installed. As we have young children we want to seal the concrete floor throughout to reduce liveliness of staining, reduce dust and dirt while they sit and crawl on the floor. I'm not sure which type of sealer to use either film forming or penetration. My concerns would be

As it will be throughout the home I need something that doesn't Yellow.

Due to corridors etc there will be a reasonable amount of traffic and the product needs to be a be able to withstand this for approx 2 years.

I don't want it to be overly slippery (no more than non gloss tiles) when wet - do I need grit added? The kids will be crawling so I don't want it to be sandpaper on them either.

As it will be inside I can't have a strong smell once dry or if the house gets hot

If there is a suitable product I am very interested in determining what that is. Would that same product be OK to seal the garage floor or would you recommend a different product for that?

Regards,

Dan

CK

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
Under the Film Forming Concrete Sealer WB, it says under the "Directions" tab, to allow to dry 20-40 minutes, then reapply subsequent coats. But under the "Technical" tab is says to re-coat in 1 hour. So which one is it?

Also, does this sealer have any issues if it comes in contact with direct sunlight, before it dries properly? It's an outside application. I can apply it in the shade, but the sun will move to it, within 4 hours.

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Hi CK,
like most coatings are dependent on many variables like dry film thickness, air circulation, temperature etc but should read re-coatable in approximately 20-60 mins. Best to always assess if tack free before applying any additional coats.
Film Forming Concrete Sealer WB is 100% UV stable and non-yellowing.

CK

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 09:33:57 AM »
Thanks for your reply Tex.

You've answered my first question - 20-60 minutes between coats, ensuring it's no longer tacky before re-applying. An additional question to that, if I may: if it's no longer tacky, can I stand on it to apply the second coat, without adversely effecting it?

Returning to my last question though (former post) when applying the sealer - can it come in direct contact with the sunlight, if it hasn't completely finished drying yet? I know water is an issue, for the first 24 hours, so it must be kept dry - but does direct sunlight on the product, effect it's final appearance, if it came in contact with direct sunlight, before it has dried fully? Or is sunlight not an issue at all, with the application process?