• 15 Replies

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
Driveway Sealer Discusion
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »
Please feel free to discuss anything related to driveway sealer protection.

Joe Dennuso

Re: Driveway Sealer Discusion
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:19 PM »
I made a mistake with my driveway sealer as well once. I figured that the more sealer I applied the better off I would be. I have since learnt this is not the case and over application is really bad and creates milky white spots. To fix the problem I stripped the sealer off with a chemical stripper and started again with a pump sprayer instead of a roller. The driveway now has a beautiful gloss appearance and is doing its job!

MikeH

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Solvents are easier to make mistakes with than water based. I just use a sprayer and works like a charm every time :)

Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:24 PM »
Does your product need a slip resistant additive added to it for driveways with an incline?
Thanks

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Hi Phil,
It really depends on the product you are interested in. For the ultimate in non-slip protection we always recommend a penetrating sealer. Since it resides below your surface there is no "film" to slip on!

Philip Neri

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:43 AM »
I need to reseal my stencilled concrete driveway. should I with film or penetrating sealer. Can you please recommend?

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »
Hi Philip,
it is always recommended to seal a decorative concrete surface (stencil) with a film forming sealer.
Especially for a re-seal, a penetrating concrete sealer is not advised due to the decorative surface at one point being sealed with a film.

Angus

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 11:17:09 PM »
Tex, can I apply the penetrating driveway sealer(penetrating standard) on the concrete around swimming pool? thx

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
Tex, can I apply the penetrating driveway sealer(penetrating standard) on the concrete around swimming pool? thx
Yes, a penetrating sealer can be applied to most porous substrates. Thanks

Angus

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 12:00:34 AM »
Tex,
Can the penetrating driveway sealer be applied by garden sprayer? or does the sprayer have to be electrical powered one?
thx
Angus

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 04:50:46 PM »
Can the penetrating driveway sealer be applied by garden sprayer? or does the sprayer have to be electrical powered one?
Garden sprayer is fine though please remember if opting for the solvent based version of our penetrating sealers then the sprayer must be solvent resistant.

Stanley Atkins

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »
Great suggestions!!

Megan

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 11:11:47 PM »
Hi, Im looking to seal a fast food drivethru. Im not quite sure what to use to seal the concrete in such a high traffic area. Im thinking an epoxy... Just wondering if it is much more difficult to apply a clear one as opposed to a coloured one?

Tex Rowe

• CSW Coatings Moderator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • CSW Coatings
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:26 PM »
Hi, Im looking to seal a fast food drivethru. Im not quite sure what to use to seal the concrete in such a high traffic area. Im thinking an epoxy.
Yes you are correct in that an epoxy (2 pack) is the first choice in a commercial high traffic application. As most 2 packs are not UV stable this narrows down product selection to a 2 Pack Urethane which is 100% UV stable and non-yellowing.
So if area is exposed to UV light please see:
2 Pack Urethane
https://cswcoatings.com.au/product/2-pack-urethane/
In addition (to be determined by applicator) it is always preferable for external coatings to lay a single coat moisture barrier like below first:
Water Based Epoxy
https://cswcoatings.com.au/product/water-based-epoxy/
Just wondering if it is much more difficult to apply a clear one as opposed to a coloured one?
Slightly as clear coatings will typically show slab related issues like rising moisture etc.

Robert

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »
Hi guys, i need to seal a garage which is Unsealed with a few small oil stains etc. Its a new house 1yr old.

Would like to park my car in without more stains or tyre marks.

Am i right in doing the  following

1. Pressure clean 3000psi
2. Two coats penetrative sealer premium

Other questions

1. Do i have to acid wash or will pressure clean do it
2. Can i paint it afterwards or is it not necessary with the sealer. Better still does sealer come in colours

Any help would be great
Rob